Build your immune this winter with these immune building Chinese herbs and an amazing recipe for Chinese Herbal Chicken Soup.
Chinese Immune Building Herbs For Soup Stock
Build your immune this winter with these immune building Chinese herbs and an amazing recipe to go with it from 16th St Acupuncture.
Chinese Herbal Chicken Soup
About the recipe:
During the winter, it’s great to have an easy, healthy, soup recipe on hand. This recipe combines a few Chinese herbs to keep your immune system up and your body energized during the cold season.
One of the most common ways to use herbs in China is to cook them in the form of a soup along with chicken. This is because the chicken is thought to bring out and enhance the tonifying and nourishing aspects of the herbs. The root herbs, astragalus and dioscorea, are qi tonics that benefit the immune system, digestion, aid absorption of nutrients, improve cardiac function and enhance energy. Kelp nourishes the blood and benefits the Kidney essence.
3 1/2 lbs – 4 ½ lbs organic, free range chicken, well washed and excess fat removed
Astragalus 30g, Dioscoria 30g, Kelp 10g
1 large onion, chopped
2 carrots, chopped
3 celery stalks, chopped
¼ bunch fresh parsley
An 8 quart soup pot
- Place chicken in the soup pot with 5 quarts of water. The chicken should be covered by at least two inches of water; add more water if needed.
- Cover and bring to a boil slowly. Skim off any foam that forms.
- Turn the flame to a gentle simmer. Cook for 3-24 hours. Cooking for 12-24 hours will release the Essence (Jing) from the bones and make for a more tonic broth. Add water if needed, to keep the chicken covered.
- With 2 hours of cooking time remaining, add the astragalus, discoria and kelp, and chopped vegetables and parsley.
- After cooking is complete, strain the broth. If cooking less than 12 hours, reserve the bones for bone broth.
- Refrigerate the broth and remove any fat that congeals. The broth is ready to use “as is” or as a stock for soup, grains or beans.
- Enjoy up to 1 cup daily as a tonic or up to 2 cups daily if you are weak or recovering from a cold, the flu or other illness.
Makes 4 quarts, May be frozen for up to 3 months.
|Dimensions||6.5 × 3.5 × 2 in|
Only logged in customers who have purchased this product may leave a review.